Re: orphaning my packages

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 11:29:25AM +0100, Rens Houben wrote:

> > > I am orphaning my packages, because I lost hope that I can become an
> > > official developer under the present NM process.

> > If you have so much packages you should be able to get an advocate.
> > Nothing wrong with this step of the NM process.

> If there's nothing wrong with it, why exactly isn't it working?

To be perfectly blunt, it appears to be working as designed:  the
advocate stage requires the applicant to get involved in Debian work and
find an existing DD who is willing to endorse his application based on
personal familiarity with the applicant.  Perhaps I've missed something,
but the only reasons I can see for an NM to not get an advocate after
six weeks are that 1) he hasn't actually tried, or 2) he isn't ready for
the NM process and therefore no one will advocate him.  The advocate
requirement protects the NM queue from being bogged down by both kinds
of applications, while at the same time making it clear what a serious
applicant needs to do to enter the queue.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer