Re: Securing Debian HOWTO

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 10:02:54AM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 02:38:54PM +0100, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
>

> Why?  And why did you decide to fork it instead of just linking to it?

¿So that people don't have to dig in the website? Com'on. You cannot expect
harden-doc (for example) to provide an incomplete manual for offline reading
(PDF,HTML,whatever). What if the person doesn't have an inet connection? (i.e. has
only obtained Debian through CDs).

> I disagree that it should be relocated; almost all other information
> published by the security team is available from
> <http://www.debian.org/security/>.

I'm reluctant to have web-only documentation (such as the security FAQ). People
want:

1.- documentation that can be read offline
2.- documentation that can be pretty-printed

	I'm not forking the security-FAQ I'm copying it into a document format that
provides both. We are not giving our web-site on the CD-ROMs (maybe we should) but
we are providing harden-doc as a package with this documentation.

I'ts a pity that people think that bandwith is un-expensive all over the world or
that everyone has free-Internet access. Even if it's common, and a plus, we don't
have to take for granted that users have both.

> > 	Will do. Feel free to submit a patch.
>
> Two patches are attached, one for the security team FAQ and one for the
> Debian Developer's Reference.

	I had already linked to the DD's reference before you sent the patch BTW.
The Securing Debian section was introduced *before* it was written in the DD's
reference.

	I will sync with the Security's FAQ, but I will *not* remove it. I will
add a link refering to the main (approved) document. But it makes much more sense
to have a FAQ in the Manual that *includes* the Security Team's. And it's not a
fork.

	Best regards

	Javi