Re: orphaning my packages

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 09:27:20 -0600
Stephen Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> wrote:

><snip>  Perhaps I've missed something,
> but the only reasons I can see for an NM to not get an advocate after
> six weeks are that 1) he hasn't actually tried, or 2) he isn't ready for
> the NM process and therefore no one will advocate him.

3) the NM is competant, can work things out without assistance from others
and therefore hasnt had much contact with other developers. (not a
lobbyist)

4) debian developers arent willing to advocate people because they would
rather concentrate on their current responsabilities.

5) some debian developer they dont really know is willing to advocate NM,
but the _smart_ NM on seeing that that advocate step is really a
duplication on AM stage sees through debian thin technical viel and
decides not to get involved with such pointless politics and bureaucracy.
(is scared away)

I think the most valuable skill a prospective NM can have is patients and
social skill, it should be about technical ability (although that does
come into it a _little_ bit).

If you look at the people that have given up on the NM process can you
honestly say they that debian is better off without them... i dont think
so.

Glenn