On Fri, 2002-11-15 at 17:29, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:54:27AM +0200, Richard Braakman wrote:
> > I think that would be a terrible way to do it.  It's much better to
> > simply drop the package.  That way people can keep it around on their
> > systems for as long as they like, instead of innocently upgrading
> > to a dummy version.
>
> I wonder how many people understand that Debian dropping non-free from
> the archive and mirror network wouldn't actually remove any packages
> from their computers.

not true, if the package isn't accessible, then the package on their
system will be come stale, and possibly forcably removed (because you
upgrade a library that conflicts w/ a library that non-free package
depends on).

yes, an updated version of that non-free package might be available
somewhere for the users to download, but if its not readily accessible
(as the mirror network makes it) then its effectively going to remove
the packages from people's computers