On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:36:37PM -0500, Shaya Potter wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-11-15 at 17:29, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > I wonder how many people understand that Debian dropping non-free from
> > the archive and mirror network wouldn't actually remove any packages
> > from their computers.
>
> not true, if the package isn't accessible, then the package on their
> system will be come stale, and possibly forcably removed (because you
> upgrade a library that conflicts w/ a library that non-free package
> depends on).

You presume that all packages in non-free are actively maintained.  The
same problem affects packages in main as well.

> yes, an updated version of that non-free package might be available
> somewhere for the users to download, but if its not readily accessible
> (as the mirror network makes it) then its effectively going to remove
> the packages from people's computers

Availability has nothing to do with it.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      "I came, I saw, she conquered."
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      The original Latin seems to have