Hi,

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 07:07:15PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 06:55:40PM +0100, Emile van Bergen wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 10:36:28AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > > 	End users are rarely on my radar. Collaborative users, who
> > >  help improve my software, and my system, and make things better all
> > >  around, by finding bugs, making suggestions, providing patches --
> > >  them I'll nurture, again, from purely selfish, niggardly, ulterior
> > >  motives.
> >
> > Perhaps, but are you really always so sure of your motives? You'd be an
> > exception with such unfaltering introspective abilities.
>
> It is impolite, to say nothing of rhetorically imprudent, to challenge
> Manoj's conceptions of himself.

I know. My scepticism was a little harsh. However, it does not sit
entirely well with me that it's better accepted to be sceptical to
someone's self knowledge when he claims altruism than when someone
claims egoism as his motive. Egoism is already seen as more powerful,
even as more dependable, as Manoj did. How far do we need to go before
we start seeing it as a virtue in itself instead of an useful tool when
handled with care, I wonder.

Cheers,

Emile.

--