On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 10:39:09PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	I have long been of the opinion that non-free shall dwindle
>  and wither away of its own accord.  The argument was easy to make
>  when we were deciding on the content of the social contract; it was
>  harder to make a couple of years ago; and now that things have
>  changd, and free software has exploded, people who would place
>  ideology first are harder then ever to convince.

Well said, but we should remember that a lot of prominent people from the
very GNU Project use Debian because of their beliefs. If we have already
convinced the likes of RMS that the existence of the non-free section does
not impact the freeness of the system, what more is there to strive for? :)

> 	Before you draw conclusions about my stance on this issue, let
>  me state that I have not yet made up my mind. Apart from java (which
>  is not even in non-free), I only use graphviz and angband; so it
>  wouldn't be that hard for me to give up and join the apathetic masses
>  on this issue; I just was irritated enough by tone of this message to
>  respond.

I could ditch all six of the packages vrms regularly reports on my system as
well, so as far as that is concerned I'm pretty much agnostic. I am,
however, entirely unimpressed by the reasoning for the change that has been
laid out (both two years ago and now), so I'm inclined to vote against it.

     2. That which causes joy or happiness.