Re: Why are modules and modules.conf not versioned?

Previously Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> Independend from the tools approach hand editing config files is needed,
> too. If /etc/modules is no longer the file one should hand edit, than this
> is a problem for various reasons:

/etc/modules has always been mostly a convenience thing in my opinion,
and with current kernels there are enough aliases available to no longer
need it.

> - differences to other distributions and general howtos (on usenet everybody
> will tell you to put xxx in /etc/modules)

Do all other distributions have /etc/modules? Sun Linux does not as far
as I know for example.

> - users need to be educated to use another file, /etc/modules should be
> removed and ignored in that case

We should have simple toold to configure aliases first. alsaconf (not
sure if that still exists) was a nice example of how this could be done
properly.

Wichert.

 /wichert@wiggy.net         This space intentionally left occupied \
| wichert@deephackmode.org                    http://www.wiggy.net/ |