Re: why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 06:10:26PM -0400, Luke Seubert wrote:

> On 10/24/2002 7:02 AM, Riku Voipio at riku.voipio@iki.fi wrote:
>
> > According to UI guidline my former workplace, some study said
> > that most end users can comprehend menu structures three levels
> > deep and five items per menu.
> >
> Thanks for the tip.  I agree wholeheartedly about going no deeper than three
> levels.  And wherever possible, I hope Debian Desktop can limit items per
> menu to five or six.  But some menus are simply going to have to have more
> than this.  I am thinking something like the "Preferences" or "Settings"
> menu, or whatever it is called.

Indeed, if we were to follow that convention, a menu could have at most
about 100 menu entries for programs...my system has 95 if I exclude doc-base
entries, and I very much doubt that those fall neatly into a logical
hierarchy when restricted to 5 items per menu.

Perhaps we need to prioritize these things, so that users who only care
about their 10 or so office/web/mail applications can get to them without
wading through a lot of things that they don't care about.

--
 - mdz