Re: why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 01:44:28PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 02:42:33PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > I believe the reason they chose to do this is because deeply nested
> > menus are considered bad from a user interface standpoint.

> Menus taller than your screen are also bad from a user interface

According to UI guidline my former workplace, some study said
that most end users can comprehend menu structures three levels
deep and five items per menu.

Anything more is too complex to be usefull for anone else than the
most advanced users. The suggested refactoring was introducing
context sensitive menus.

Ofcourse, that is not enough for a debian system where every single
debian application is installed, but trying to balance the most common
used applicaions into a 5^3 structure should be easy.

--
Riku Voipio  	       |    riku.voipio@iki.fi         |
kirkkonummentie 33     |    +358 40 8476974          --+--