Re: why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On 10/24/2002 7:02 AM, Riku Voipio at riku.voipio@iki.fi wrote:

> According to UI guidline my former workplace, some study said
> that most end users can comprehend menu structures three levels
> deep and five items per menu.

Thanks for the tip.  I agree wholeheartedly about going no deeper than three
levels.  And wherever possible, I hope Debian Desktop can limit items per
menu to five or six.  But some menus are simply going to have to have more
than this.  I am thinking something like the "Preferences" or "Settings"
menu, or whatever it is called.

> Ofcourse, that is not enough for a debian system where every single
> debian application is installed, but trying to balance the most common
> used applicaions into a 5^3 structure should be easy.

Well, maybe not toooo easy ;-)  But yes, putting only the most commonly used
applications into the menu hierarchy should be easier within the 5^3 context
than puting in all available X apps.

Cheers,
Luke Seubert