Re: [desktop] why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On 10/24/2002 10:32 AM, Keith G. Murphy at keithmur@mindspring.com wrote:

> Colin Walters wrote:
>> Web Browser (Galeon)
>>
> I like this idea a lot.  It would make DebDesktop much more palatable
> for the intermediate user than having functional labels only.  I would
> argue that you *always* want to have the project/program name visible,
> for due credit for the project also.

I tend to agree.  Having an application label followed by a name helps the
newbie in two ways.  First, the newbie can quickly find a web browser, chat
client, etc.  But also, the newbie, through repetitive association, will
also learn the proper names of various software libre applications, and
thereby become a more knowledgable user.

> As well as solving the problem of, if a user wanted to make more than
> one, say, terminal emulator visible, distinguishing between them.

Another good point.  A bit more flexibility for those who customize the
default Debian Desktop menu.

Thanks for the feedback,
Luke Seubert