Re: [desktop] why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

Colin Walters wrote:
On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 23:46, Luke Seubert wrote:

I believe I understand your point.  Is the idea to use a label like "Web
Browser", instead of a label like "Explorer", or a proper name like,
"Galeon"?

For what it's worth, the GNOME project is generally pushing for
functional names like "Web Browser", except when a particular project
has significant recognition in the free software community (e.g. Galeon,
Mozilla).  So what they'll do is put the project name in parenthesis
afterwards, like:

Web Browser (Galeon)

I like this idea a lot. It would make DebDesktop much more palatable for the intermediate user than having functional labels only. I would argue that you *always* want to have the project/program name visible, for due credit for the project also.

As well as solving the problem of, if a user wanted to make more than one, say, terminal emulator visible, distinguishing between them.

My $.02 worth again, as a non-DD.