Re: [desktop] why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 09:32:24AM -0500, Keith G. Murphy scribbled:
[snip]
> >Mozilla).  So what they'll do is put the project name in parenthesis
> >afterwards, like:
> >
> >Web Browser (Galeon)
> >
> I like this idea a lot.  It would make DebDesktop much more palatable
> for the intermediate user than having functional labels only.  I would
> argue that you *always* want to have the project/program name visible,
> for due credit for the project also.
That's true, but remember that when they launch they will see the project
name anyway. The thing is to keep the Debian Desktop the simplest possible
_by default_ - with the open possibility to extend it whenever the user
feels more comfortable with the new environment.

> As well as solving the problem of, if a user wanted to make more than
> one, say, terminal emulator visible, distinguishing between them.
Sure, that would have to be done. As somebody in this thread suggested, in
that case the terminal name should appear in the parentheses - it's obvious
that the distinction should be made somehow. Or, perhaps, it would be better
to automatically turn that menu entry into a submenu when more Terminal
Emulators are installed?

marek