Re: Python 2.2 status

[obDelay] I've been out of town for a little while..

Howdy,

Yes, the situation with wx2.2 is a little ugly, rebuilding it with
current sid is likely to cause as many problems as it fixes, at least
for packages depending on it.  I've been waiting to see which packages
will not build with 2.3 yet before deciding for certain what to do about
it.   A rebuilt 2.2 would not be binary compatible and would force a
rebuild of all the dependent packages anyway, so it's not really a
'shortcut' to stablise sarge in any case.

Anyway, to cut to the salient point, I wouldn't object to removing
2.2 from sid (it's rapidly moving toward unmaintained status anyway as we
focus our limited manpower on stabilising for 2.4) -- that's probably the
simplest (next) hint for package maintainers to move toward 2.3  ;)
and if anyone has real reason to retain 2.2 after that I'll rebuild
the packages with just their needs in mind.  I've not yet heard from
anyone definitely unable to migrate to 2.3, but I've been expecting
there will be at least a couple of (hopefully minor) issues there.

Migrating packages to 2.3/2.4 for sarge is definitely my preferred option
though.

thanks,
Ron