Re: [desktop] why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cc: Luke Seubert <email@example.com>, Daniel Burrows <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Joakim Kolsjö <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: [desktop] why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks
- From: "Bernhard R. Link" <email@example.com>
- Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 19:29:36 +0200
- Message-id: <[🔎] 20021024192936.A10250@ganymed.informatik.uni-freiburg.de>
- Mail-followup-to: firstname.lastname@example.org, Luke Seubert <email@example.com>, Daniel Burrows <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Joakim Kolsjö <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-reply-to: <[🔎] 20021024152653.GG2691@thanes.org>; from email@example.com on Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 05:26:53PM +0200
- References: <[🔎] 20021024033411.GA25006@torrent.burrows.local> <[🔎] B9DCE79C.B08Cfirstname.lastname@example.org> <[🔎] 20021024152653.GG2691@thanes.org>
* Marek Habersack <email@example.com> [021024 17:34]:
> A newbie will not use a bare WindowMaker... If they do, they're not newbies
> anymore, IMHO. Otherwise we might be forced to somehow add support for twm
This is just not true. Things like icewm e.g. are very newbie-friendly.
(Due to this duplicated menus in KDE even more then KDE in my eyes, because I
can say him "use xyz" for this and he will find it.
And waiting for KDE or gnome to actually do anything is anything but
With some icons for xterm,conquerer,sylpheed,netscape,mozilla and nedit
in the panel, most newbies I care for in my university can just start
to do something. With KDE they need some minits until they have get used
enough to all this complexity to dare to click anywhere. (Not to speak
of the aditional minits until KDE is there)
If you are talking about making the desktop easier, what about some way
to determine what programs to present as quick-start-buttons in the
Icons of feasable size, newbie-readable texts in menu-items and some
way for quick-start-icons to be automaticaly determined and be set
by an administrator in an easy way for all WMs would make the life much
easier for the newbie-users of Debian-systems. Even on computers that
are not bought new year by year.
Bernhard R. Link
<gEistiO> sagen wir mal...ich hab alle sourcen in /lost+found/waimea
<me> gEistiO: [...] Warum lost+found?
<gEistiO> wo haette ich es denn sonst hingeben solln?