Re: [desktop] why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 11:56:12PM -0400, Luke Seubert scribbled:
> On 10/23/2002 11:34 PM, Daniel Burrows at dnb114@psu.edu wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 10:33:08PM -0400, Luke Seubert
> > <ls.maillist@verizon.net> was heard to say:
> >> What you are suggesting in general, QT Apps in the menu when running KDE and
> >> GTK apps in the menu when running GTK compatible GUIs has great merit.  It
> >> seems that a consensus is emerging to do just that.
> >
> > What do you do the rest of the time?  (say, when running XFce or a
> > "bare" window manager)
> >
> Good question.  For something like XFce, which if I recall correctly, has
> good bindings to GTK apps, I would say go with a GTK based menu, i.e. the
> default menu used with Gnome.
The question is whether Debian Desktop will exist for bare window managers
and XFCe, too? Or do we consider only KDE/GNOME as the DD target
environments?

> For the really neutral "bare" window managers that have no QT or GTK
> preference, well, I guess we would need a few flamewars to hash that one out
> ;-)
A newbie will not use a bare WindowMaker... If they do, they're not newbies
anymore, IMHO. Otherwise we might be forced to somehow add support for twm
:-)

marek