Re: [desktop] why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

The following text was discovered Thursday 24 October 2002 in a note
attributed to one "Jim Penny <jpenny@debian.org>":

> But, if it takes off, the debian desktop team is taking it on themselves
> to pick winners and losers from the free software spectrum.  How will
> these decisions be made?  How long will they persist, once in place?

I would think they'd be done by a few educated guesses at first, then change
when some Enterprising Young Soul(tm) discovers a package and files a bug
report saying, essentially, "This might be good for Debian Desktop!" or the
like.

(Now, what to file that bug report *against* is another issue)

> How will politicking and lobbying be handled?  Most importantly, how
> will upstream "also-rans" react?

Hopefully by developing more in the direction of general usability so they
too can be looked at and included in something like this.

Just because something is good for novices doesn't mean it's going to be
extended to Absolutely everybody. It's still Free Software. (but I'm sure we
all know that already)

--
Joanne Hunter <http://menagerie.tf/~jrhunter/>  Say No to HTML Mail!/"\
 Of course, I don't know how interesting any of this really is,     \ /