Re: [desktop] why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 07:29:36PM +0200, Bernhard R. Link scribbled:
> * Marek Habersack <grendel@debian.org> [021024 17:34]:
> > A newbie will not use a bare WindowMaker... If they do, they're not newbies
> > anymore, IMHO. Otherwise we might be forced to somehow add support for twm
>
> This is just not true. Things like icewm e.g. are very newbie-friendly.
> (Due to this duplicated menus in KDE even more then KDE in my eyes, because I
>  can say him "use xyz" for this and he will find it.
Don't forget that the newbies will use what they are given and not what they
choose (initially). If the DeDe chooses to add WindowMaker to its desktop
offering, then I'm sure it will be configured well enough to match the
GNOME/KDE level.

> And waiting for KDE or gnome to actually do anything is anything but
> newbie friendly)
What do you mean by "waiting" here? The projects or excecution of a program
in one of those environments?

> With some icons for xterm,conquerer,sylpheed,netscape,mozilla and nedit
> in the panel, most newbies I care for in my university can just start
> to do something. With KDE they need some minits until they have get used
> enough to all this complexity to dare to click anywhere. (Not to speak
> of the aditional minits until KDE is there)
isn't that what the DeDe project is hoping to change?

> If you are talking about making the desktop easier, what about some way
> to determine what programs to present as quick-start-buttons in the
> different WMs?
Sure, that's an excellent idea. I guess it would take a long-running poll to
determine that with satisfactory reliability.

> Icons of feasable size, newbie-readable texts in menu-items and some
> way for quick-start-icons to be automaticaly determined and be set
> by an administrator in an easy way for all WMs would make the life much
> easier for the newbie-users of Debian-systems. Even on computers that
> are not bought new year by year.
I agree.

marek