Re: [desktop] why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 01:11:21AM +0200, Joakim Kolsjö scribbled:
[snip]
> > separated in a visible way, IMHO. I expect Debian Desktop to deliver the
> > same set of modifications to both environments, but I see no point in making
> > a mess out of the newbie KDE user's desktop or the newbie GNOME user's
> > desktop. I think it's healthier to keep those two separate.
> >

> In a way... i agree. Because if DD start changing menu's, people are bound to
> become unhappy about it. IMHO, DD is a way to make shure that installation,
> configuration and usage goes as smooth as possible, but not makeing it less
> flexible because of it, even "after" DD, Debian should still be Debian, but
> maybe a bit more "user friendly" =)
Look at this from another angle. If a user, a complete newbie, is offerred
two desktop environments they won't know which too choose, it will create a
confusion, it will discourage them etc. etc. If DD is supposed to be
successful, it should show the users screenshots before making the choice of
the desktop and have them choose the one they like better. That would appeal
to them visually - and that's basically what desktop is all about for the
newbies... If they make the choice - let them live happily ever after in
that environment. Later on when they become "power users" they will learn
how to make choices.

my 0.02EUR :)

marek