Re: woody : X install

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 11:07:27AM +0200, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> * Colin Walters <walters@verbum.org> [021021 23:25]:
> > Speaking with my Debian Desktop hat on, I would prefer it if you took
> > the approach of just trying what the autodetection tools said, and only
> > if that fails, offer the user a choice of options.  If the autodetection
> > tools give incorrect information, then that's a bug in those tools we
> > should fix.  If the X server doesn't get enough information from the
> > autodetection tools, then we should fix that.

> I think this is a very bad idea. Autodetection will never be accurate
> and there will always be systems where autodetection just screw up the
> system to a state where one needs a hard reset.

This is the attitude why debian has kept beeing so hard to install.
PCI/USB stuff detection is trivial. Those can be detected safely.
legacy hardware is a diffrent issue and should not be tried to
autodetected without users permission. just because autodetecting sonme
hardware is dangerous doesn't mean that the life of those who have
autodetectable hardware should be made harder.

> There has to be some possibility to prevent it doing nasty things.

An advanced install mode.
--
Riku Voipio  	       |    riku.voipio@iki.fi         |
kirkkonummentie 33     |    +358 40 8476974          --+--