Re: woody : X install

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 11:22:03AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 03:39, Vikram wrote:

[user has to purge xserver-xfree86 to take advantage of
the discover, mdetect, and read-edid tools in a non-interactive way]

> Yes, that is a bug in Debian.  We are going to fix it for the next
> release.

Just seconding this as the XFree86 package maintainer.  The current
xserver-xfree86.config script is a nightmare of twisty code that has
been patched to death.

I'll be rewriting it from scratch over the coming months and trying to
work out a strategy for letting the user select between up to three
sources of information:

1) what the autodetection tools (if any) say
2) what the debconf database already says (if anything)
3) what the X server config file already says (if anything)

Working out a solution to the above that won't be even more confusing
than the above will be a challenge.

Of course, I gather from Joey Hess that if I do 3) I don't have to mess
with 2), because Debconf Is Not a Registry.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     I suspect Linus wrote that in a
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     complicated way only to be able to