woody : X install

A woody X install did not work via the "simple install" [non dselect]
method on a friends machine. So it dumped me into console on boot. I
needed to configure X ..... and I find out that [from irc] I have to:

"install discover, read-edid, and mdetect, and purge and reinstall
 xserver-xfree86 using `dpkg --force-depends -P xserver-xfree86; apt-get
 install xserver-xfree86"`"

I did it and it works great but I think its not such an easy thing for a
new user. In fact , iirc, half the questions were related to this [or] a
network setup on the debian channels in irc. Isn't there a better way out
for this ?

			Vikram