Re: Make Debian better (Re: Two Debian 3.0 reviews at Slashdot)

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 03:21:40PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 05:04:43PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > submitter to work with upstream directly, or the maintainer has to add
> > the bug to the bottom of his own long TODO list.

> I don't see why...it takes a few seconds to pass on a bug.

If it only takes a few seconds, then why do you object to being asked to
do it yourself? ;)

The reality is that while it might only take a few seconds to blindly
forward the bug report to the upstream developers, *following through* on
the bug and ensuring that it gets *fixed* can sometimes be a very lengthy
process -- *even when you already have a patch for the bug*.  Sometimes
upstream disagrees with the way the patch was done; sometimes upstream
moves out from under you while the patch is being written, and you have
to resubmit it; sometimes, it's just a matter of pinging upstream to
remind them to apply the patch.  There are lots of reasons why upstream
bugs can -- and usually do -- take a lot longer than a few seconds to get
fixed.  If we as maintainers are concerned about *getting bugs fixed*
instead of just passing the buck, sometimes the best thing we can do to
help our users is put them in touch with upstream developers.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer