Re: clamav/oav-update/scannerdaemon

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 05:19:10PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> I concur. scannerdaemon's dependency on Java never really made it
> a virus scanner that I was comfortable using. don't ask, i hate java.

Your not alone.

Originally I liked the idea of Java, but far too much Java development
is based around the non-free JDK for my liking.

Also, if you want Java support in Mozilla, you have to have the non-free
JDK, I don't think there are any other options. It doesn't seem to work
with some websites I use either (I get a message box saying this page
requires a plugin not installed with at least one web page).

jike/kaffe do seem good programs, but seem to be buggy and need more
testing (at least in my experience). I think they are also falling
behind from the non-free JDK.

gcj also seems a good idea, but I haven't used it.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>