Re: JOEL BAKER, STOP TELLING PEOPLE TO DEPEND ON LIBC-DEV *INSTEAD* OF LIBC6-DEV

On Monday 14 October 2002 16:03, Joel Baker wrote:

> 2) Is this a libc6 special case, or would it be just as acceptable to list,
> say, "libc12-dev | libc-dev"?

Policy 7.4 states:

If you want to specify which of a set of real packages should be the default
to satisfy a particular dependency on a virtual package, you should list the
real package as an alternative before the virtual one.

I seem to recall this being more of a "packages which depend on virtual
packages should do this" but either my memory is blurry or the text changed.

If you run lintian --info on your package it should give you:

W: virtual-package-depends-without-real-package-depends
Ref: policy 7.4
The package declares a depends on a virtual package without listing a
real package as an alternative first.