JOEL BAKER, STOP TELLING PEOPLE TO DEPEND ON LIBC-DEV *INSTEAD* OF LIBC6-DEV

Changes:
 zlib (1:1.1.4-6) unstable; urgency=low
 .
   * Depend on libc-dev rather than libc6-dev (closes: #164649).

So of course this package is going to be uninstallable now, just like openssl
was a few days ago.

 openssl (0.9.6g-8) unstable; urgency=low
 .
   * fix libc6 depends. Only needed for i386 (closes: #163701)
   * remove SHLIB section for bsds from Configure (closes: #163585)

 openssl (0.9.6g-9) unstable; urgency=low
 .
   * fix typo in i386 libc6 depend (sigh) (closes: #163848)

DO NOT DECLARE SIMPLE DEPENDENCIES ON PURE VIRTUAL PACKAGES.

In Debian GNU/Linux, "libc-dev" is a pure virtual package.  It doesn't
matter if "libc-dev" is a real package on GNU/Hurd or *BSD.  You will
break Debian GNU/Linux if you tell people to change "libc6-dev"
dependencies to "libc-dev".

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO INSTEAD:

Depends: libc6-dev | libc-dev

This also helps the Alpha and IA-64 GNU/Linux ports, where the dev
package for GNU LibC is "libc6.1-dev".

DEPENDING ON A VIRTUAL PACKAGE IS FINE, BUT YOU SHOULD *ALWAYS* SPECIFY
A REAL PACKAGE ALTERNATIVE, AND IT SHOULD *ALWAYS* COME FIRST.

REAL BEFORE VIRTUAL.

Learn it, live it, love it.

Oh yeah, by the way...

I WOULDN'T HAVE TO SHOUT LIKE THIS IF PACKAGE MAINTAINERS COULD BE
BOTHERED TO PERFORM EVEN THE MEAGER TESTING THAT "dpkg -i" ENTAILS.

TEST BEFORE YOU UPLOAD.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       The software said it required
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       Windows 3.1 or better, so I