Re: the netbase/inetd conspiracy

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 09:38:15PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > > Either the packages or policy should be changed.  Do you not agree?
> > No, not really. Policy's not precisely defined, and trying to pretend that
> > you can read it without having to think about whether it's recommendations
> > are actually beneficial is just going to lead you into trouble.
> Nobody claims that.  But when people *are* disagreeing about the
> proper reading, it seems appropriate to clarify it.

No, people are disagreeing about how they read it. It's in English,
that's a fact of life. People *aren't* giving *any* thought to which
possible behaviours are the most beneficial.

> Nobody is saying that all ambiguities should be removed.  But surely
> those that turn out to be actual disagreements should be settled.

All it takes for something to turn into an "actual disagreement" is for
it to be mentioned in public. Going through the policy process for every
ambiguity that's mentioned on a mailing list is fundamentally unhealthy
-- it's frustrating since it's a distraction from useful work, and it
inhibits public discussions of things when you don't have the time or
patience to be sidetracked for no good reason. (And yes, I can name at
least two worthwhile issues that're being delayed precisely because I
feel this way. I'm not going to, for reasons I just explained.)

> > And, heck, I've seen a lot more problems caused by dpkg's reluctance
> > to reinstate removed conffiles, than problems caused by config files
> > magically reappearing.
> Ah, then you think policy should be fixed.

Have you any idea how fucking annoying it is to say something, then have
some fucking moron on a mailing list pretend I said the exact opposite
thing? Do you think I'm such a moron that even having thought about the
issue, and discussed it extensively for years, I don't know what I want?

Cheers,
aj