Re: the netbase/inetd conspiracy

> On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 10:29:41AM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
> > Then netkit-inetd is broken. If I remove a configuration file, it damn
> > well better stay gone unless I do something explicit to re-add it.
>
> Funny how it's been this broken for as long as Debian's existed, and no
> one's noticed. Why, you'd almost think it didn't actually cause problems,
> and that people were more interested in focussing on fixing things that
> actually helped people. Randomly deleting things and expecting them to
> work and stay deleted doesn't work, so you shouldn't expect it. It's not
> even particularly useful.

Most bugs have been there as long as the package existed with nobody
noticing, until the finally do.

I don't much care whether deleting config file is supposed to work or
not, but I certainly think that practice and policy should come into
agreement on the point.

> (Pick a topic. Pick a flaw. Post about it to -devel, and someone's sure
> to be outraged by the problem, and insist it be fixed immediately. It's
> concentrated tedium in Internet form.)

Steve did not say it needed to be fixed immediately.  What it really
needs is a bug report, and that's all.