Re: the netbase/inetd conspiracy

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Currently, policy says (11.7.3), that local changes to configuration
> files must be preserved during a package upgrade.
>
> I always thought that deletion counted as a local change which was
> supposed to be preserved.  I don't particularly care, but I'm probably

It counts as a local change which is supposed to be preserved, and in fact
dpkg does just that for conffiles.  Do note that packages are certainly
allowed to refuse to work anymore if any of their config file are missing...

Anyway, I expect a lot of packages have this bug.  Including some of mine.

> So rather than adding your clunky language above, I would suggest
> adding "(though package upgrades are permitted to reinstall
> configuration files which have been entirely deleted)".

Why not treat this as the bug it really is, and fix the packages that are
buggy?

  Henrique Holschuh