Re: Accepted po-debconf 0.2.2 (all source)

Hi,

At Sun, 15 Sep 2002 19:19:17 -0400,
Joey Hess wrote:

> Yes, that would be nice, but everytime this comes up I get 50 mails
> from 30 people arginig about Japanese encodings[1]. At this point I
> assume that they are not sane, transcoding doesn't work at all, etc.

well, since this problem is very complicated, even Japanese people
can be confused.  And more, (in my opinion) there were Japanese people
who do FUD attack to Unicode (CJK Han Unification was the target in
almost all cases).  Though a part of their criticism was true and
Unicode should think about solution, there are people who never admit
weak points of Unicode.  (I have heard an opinion that there many
such people in Unicode Consortium and this situation prevents Unicode's
weak points to be solved.)

Of course Japanese people often have different opinion on what the
solution should be or how amount of compromise (perfectivity vs
simplicity -- what Japanese people want is sometimes more than
what Western people can accept as a standard of character code)
is acceptable, even if these Japanese people agree on the recognition
of current situation.

Surely there *are* several problems as I wrote and they are really
serious problems for cross-platform softwares such as Samba and mail
clients.  (There are Japanese version of Samba and Mutt, even though
they are already internationalized.)
However, Debconf is not cross-platform software.

Anyway, a good way for you when you got *many* mails from Japanese
people on this problem is to let them discuss one another in Japanese
language, I think.

My opinion on Unicode and Debconf: there are no problem on usage of
Unicode for storing data or internal processing of Debconf for
Japanese, as same as other languages.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/