Re: Accepted po-debconf 0.2.2 (all source)

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 11:40:56PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 07:19:17PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Yes, that would be nice, but everytime this comes up I get 50 mails
> > from 30 people arginig about Japanese encodings[1]. At this point I
> > assume that they are not sane, transcoding doesn't work at all, etc.

> Has anyone actually given an example of a case where EUC-JP to UTF-8 to
> EUC-JP doesn't come back clean when iconv is used both ways?  Both Steve
> Langasek and (I believe) Junichi Uekawa claimed this, but neither has
> given or referenced any solid information.

It seems I was operating under a misapprehension.  I defer to the
greater knowledge and experience of those who deal with Japanese
encodings more intimately, who have observed that round-trip conversion
is only a problem across *different* systems.  If dh_mergetemplates is
converting to UTF-8, and debconf itself is converting from UTF-8, iconv
is used in both cases, and it appears there should be no round-trip bugs.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer