Re: Accepted po-debconf 0.2.2 (all source)

Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, Denis Barbier wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 05:45:03PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> > [...]
> > > I think we need to support multiple encodings for a given language,
> > > given the mess it seems Japanese is in.
> >
> > Not really, there is only one charset used in templates files (EUC-JP),
> > but user may have a different charset.  This is not only true for Japanese,
> > but all other languages may be in UTF-8.  What we need is charset conversion
> > at runtime.
>
> It would be somewhat elegant if debconf and the eventual translated
> package descriptions end up using the same scheme for storing the
> translations, which I thought was informally agreed on to be universally
> UTF-8, and converted at runtime for display.

Yes, that would be nice, but everytime this comes up I get 50 mails
from 30 people arginig about Japanese encodings[1]. At this point I
assume that they are not sane, transcoding doesn't work at all, etc.

--
see shy jo

[1] And if any of you replies to this mail... grr.