Re: Timidity-patches eek

On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 02:19:55PM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 07:10:24PM +0200, Roberto Gordo Saez wrote:
> > I wonder how difficult will be to make a new set of patches for
> > timidity... any volunteer?
>
> The timidity patches need replacing because they're crap.  If they are
> also non-free crap, they _really_ have got to go.

The crapness I noticed quite some time ago. I've been using the
eawpats set by Eric Welsh on my workstation for a while now, and it
sounds quite considerably better.

It's been on my todo list for months now to package this thing, but
I've put it off because it's big, and I only have a 56k modem at
present. Seems like an opportune time to get around to it.

Most of the set is public domain, but it contains a few patches which
have "no commercial use" clauses; notably, a couple of pistols and the
entire analog drum set. I'm going to experiment with removing,
replacing or remapping these, to try and create a free package (if I
can, I'll upload it to main and the removed patches to non-free).

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK