Re: Improper NMU (Re: NMU for libquota-perl)

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Sebastian Rittau wrote:

>  If you're not able to maintain
> your packages properly and in a timely manner, and your holding up a
> major part of the distribution, it's your fault.

I'm interested in this.
Individuals differ greatly in their working methods.
So what is considered: "in a timely manner"?  (Seriously.)

I have dropped out of several co-operative projects in the past simply
because I'm a relatively "slow" worker -- i.e. I don't tend to give three
or four fast responses to collective development _in the same day_.
I find that sort of speed of progression highly de-motivating.
Am I alone in this?  (I might take up to a week to respond to any
particular event -- this is normal for _me_.)

I'm curious as to what the expectations of other debian-developers are --
for example, does not being online 24/7 -- or even once a day --
effectively create a barrier to participation in collective development
projects in debian?  (Theory would say: No.  But what does _practical_
experience dictate?)

So I guess my question really is: what is "timely"; and what is
"untimely"?
Where is it defined?  By whom?  Does it make sense?

Just curious.

msw
--
Martin Wheeler       -        StarTEXT - Glastonbury - BA6 9PH - England
msw@startext.demon.co.uk                    http://startext.demon.co.uk/