Re: Improper NMU (Re: NMU for libquota-perl)

On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 09:32:42AM +0000, Martin Wheeler wrote:
> I have dropped out of several co-operative projects in the past simply
> because I'm a relatively "slow" worker -- i.e. I don't tend to give three
> or four fast responses to collective development _in the same day_.
> I find that sort of speed of progression highly de-motivating.
> Am I alone in this?  (I might take up to a week to respond to any
> particular event -- this is normal for _me_.)

I treat mailing list discussions as a lagged IRC conversation--when I
see a message, time permitting, I reply to it.  If I'm actively working
on a project, I'm generally monitoring related lists, so I don't have a
problem with any number of replies a day.

I don't expect the same from all developers (especially when time zones,
sleeping habits and employment cause us to be active on lists at different
times of day), but when I'm being forced-delayed pending a discussion,
having less than an interaction a day is frustrating.  A week would
probably drive me away from a project completely, at least for active
development.

If, by the time I get a reply, I've forgotton that I was waiting for
one--a couple days--it's no longer a cohesive discussion, in my mind, but
a series of related but disconnected emails.

--
Glenn Maynard