Re: bugs concerning shared config files?

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 17:16:27 -0700 (PDT) "Sean 'Shaleh' Perry"
<shalehperry@attbi.com> wrote:

> On 23-Jul-2002 Carlos Sousa wrote:
> >
> > I was asked if I would like to remove /var/spool/lpd, which is used
> > by lprng.
> > Question: Should I file a bug against the lpr and/or lprng packages,
> > for much the same reason (purging lpr wanting to delete a directory
> > used by lprng)?
>
> /var/spool/lpd is a shared directory so this should be ok policy wise.
> Did dpkg want to remove the directory or was this done by the
> maintainer's scripts?

It was in lpr's postrm. Quoting:

   if [ $1 = "purge" ]
   then
     rm -f /var/log/lp-acct* /var/log/lp-errs*
     echo -n "Do you want to remove /var/spool/lpd? [y/N] "

I also checked lprng's postrm script:

   case "$1" in
       purge)
         if [ -d /var/spool/lpd ]; then rm -rf /var/spool/lpd ; fi

It seems this one wouldn't even have asked, if I happened to have gone
from lprng to lpr.

It seems the package management system does not handle very gracefully
the case when a package is removed because another one takes its place,
and only afterwards the user wants to remove the older package config
files. This is, unfortunately, the case when we leave the removal to
"apt-get install", it only does a remove, not a purge.

Thanks,

--
Carlos Sousa
http://vbc.dyndns.org/