RE: bugs concerning shared config files?

On 23-Jul-2002 Carlos Sousa wrote:

> After a search, in aptitude, for packages in the 'c' state (removed but
> config-files still present), I found, among others, lynx, fetchmail and
> lpr, which I replaced some time ago by lynx-ssl, fetchmail-ssl and
> lprng.
>
> I made a complete purge of those packages, and lynx (from lynx-ssl)
> wouldn't start because /etc/lynx.cfg was missing. However,
> /etc/fetchmailrc is still there. Also, I was asked if I would like to
> remove /var/spool/lpd, which is used by lprng.
>
> Question: Should I file a bug against the lynx package (or lynx-ssl, or
> both)? Purging the config files for lynx should not erase a config file
> for another package installed on the system, should it? The fetchmail
> packages seem to exhibit the right behaviour.

it is a policy violation for two packages to share a conffile in /etc and not
conflict with each other.  Lynx-ssl conflicts with lynx but not the other way
around.  Not sure if this is the cause or not.  Rather than submit a bug I
would recommend you simply mail the maintainer and ask.

> Question: Should I file a bug against the lpr and/or lprng packages, for
> much the same reason (purging lpr wanting to delete a directory used by
> lprng)?

/var/spool/lpd is a shared directory so this should be ok policy wise.  Did
dpkg want to remove the directory or was this done by the maintainer's scripts?