Re: Planned packages for sarge

Hi,

At 23 Jul 2002 14:43:27 +0200,
Tollef Fog Heen wrote:

> | I hope install systems only require input of
> | hostname and root password at most...
>
> <half-serious>
> non-ascii hostnames!
> </half-serious>

If you really says we need non-ASCII (including Japanese) input
in installation, we will have to have hundreds of kilobytes of
dictionary for Japanese input.  I think we will also need another
similar size of Chinese input dictionary.  Of course we will need
special input softwares for Japanese, Chinese, and Korean.

The size is not the most severe problem - it will just require
one additional floppy for installation system.  The biggest problem
is that we don't have a standard interface for such special input
softwares in non-X Window System environment.

So, please don't design installation system to *require* non-ASCII
input, even though it may allow non-ASCII input.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/