Re: (Possible) menu code rewrite

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 06:31:43PM -0300, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> Em Wed, 17 Jul 2002 14:10:12 +0100, Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> escreveu:
> > On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 02:03:58PM +0100, Phil Cowans wrote:
> > > I'd concede that it is possibly too complex - on reflection I think that
> > > it would be fine just to base whether a menu item is shown on whether
> > > the user is capable of using sudo to run it with the required uid.
> >
> > I think that's a nice idea. Unfortunately, /etc/sudoers isn't
> > world-readable, and 'sudo -l' requires a password, so it may not be
> > possible.
>
> That's why xsu, gnome-sudo and gksu (gksudo on the same package) were
> created, I guess..

That wasn't what I meant. I wouldn't want to be asked for my user
password when my menus were building, regardless of whether it was
presented to me in a terminal window or in a graphical widget. sudo
requires a password to tell you what you can do with it (-l), and I
wouldn't guess that the X-based alternatives you mention have bypassed
that.