Re: Why does modules.conf go in /etc, anyway?

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 12:27:50PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	/etc/auto/ would meet these guidelines, except possibly a, if
>  / is initially mounted ro.

> 	The reason I am pluggin /etc. and why I think this is distinct
>  from the run time varying files in /var, is that /etc/auto files
>  ought to be only modified during installs; we do not expect files to
>  be popping up in /etc/auto.

> 	The other part why this is really important to retain in /etc
>  is that people have expectations of just backing up /etc and
>  /var/lib/dpkg/ to preserve the state of a machine; and we should nto
>  lose the invariant of backing up /etc and preserving all
>  configuration information.

But if the file is autogenerated from the contents of other files on the
system, how are you losing any configuration state by not backing up
this file?  I'm assuming the recovery procedure involves using
/var/lib/dpkg to provide a list of packages to reinstall, right?  Those
packages will regenerate all the files in question for you.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer