Re: Why does modules.conf go in /etc, anyway?

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 07:15:36PM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> > The file is not intended to be edited. It is generated from
> > other files. It really doesn't belong in /etc.
> > Why not put it in /var, where it belongs?
> Because /var may not be mounted early enough during system boot.

We could always ask a debconf question about it...

(Seriously, we could. "Is /var mounted locally?" with a low priority,
and a default answer based on grep'ing /etc/fstab, followed by a question
about an alternative location that needs to be looked at by packages
that run early. Something like:

	/etc/
		foo -> /var/lib/managed-etc/etc-foo
		serial.conf -> /var-local/etc-serial.conf
		network/
			ifstate -> /var-local/etc-network-ifstate

	/var/lib/managed-etc/
		etc-foo

	/var-local/
		etc-network-ifstate