Re: Why does modules.conf go in /etc, anyway?

Anthony Towns wrote:
Except we've already established that's /not/ particularly sane: doing
that we end up with random programs overwriting the admin's settings
At first, I thought this proposal was paticularily insane. I was worried that crufty-users would really balk at it and that the whole thing would most likely not really help the situation but make peoples filesystems more complicated.

But this is good.

Need to edit a file and make sure its not going to get clobbered? Just make sure its not a symlink!

Messed up a config file and need to get back to one that you know is somewhat tailored to your conifguration? Just add the symlink back!

It's overall less hassle with applications to figure out and doesnt require bolting more code on the side of every application that modifies a file in /etc.

--
Scott Dier <dieman@ringworld.org> http://www.ringworld.org/