Re: Packages file [was ITP: wmcoincoin]

On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 08:27, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> 23 % is not very much, I think. Also, you shouldn't forget that bzip2 is
> very, very slow. Uncompressing the Packages.gz file on a slow machine
> already takes several seconds, it could approach the minute with bzip2.

Yes, it could. No reason both versions can't be available; an
uncompressed one is already available as well as the gzip'd one.

Yes, there are better solutions. But 23% is really fairly nice ---
nearly a full quarter of the download time --- and for (I'd guess) not
too much work.

And bunzip isn't nearly as painful as bzip.