Re: http.us rotation Was: PGI installer ISO image (BETA) for woody now available

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 02:36:16PM -0500, Scott Dier wrote:
> >increased like Matthias Waddenstein suggested recently. However, Ryan
> >Murray told him he wouldn't change the default value because the natural
> >limit is fine, or something like that. (This was relayed to me by
> >Matthias so I'm not responsible for the contents of the previous
> >sentence.)
>
> I use the following on some machines and get some performance benefit.
>
> net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling=1
> net/ipv4/tcp_rmem="4096 87380 4194304"
> net/ipv4/tcp_wmem="4096 65536 4194304"

Some? :)

Doug Porter and myself did a little test recently. From a Internet2 host of
his, he could download a file from a GEANT host of mine, by default at about
350-400 KB/s. The latency was 140 ms, if I recall correctly (it could have
been lower, not sure any more).

I increased the default wmem values (the second two numbers) by a factor of
two on the sending machine, and he gradually increased the rmem values up to
a factor of eight, and we got up to 3 MB/s, with an average of about 2 MB/s.

I also did the same test with ftp.de.d.o, ftp.se.d.o and a few other sites
that are a bit closer to me both network-wise and geographically, all of
which seemed to have a bit larger window sizes set up. I got at least a
doubled transfer rate on each of them.

These differences are pretty significant if you ask me.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.