Re: PGI installer ISO image (BETA) for woody now available

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 01:23:43PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> We do *not* recommend using the round-robin DNS mirrors (such
> as http.us.debian.org), because debootstrap may download the
> Packages.gz file from one mirror, but the packages themselves
> from several others, and the mirrors may not be in sync.  This
> desynchronization can cause debootstrap to fail.  (Ideally,
> woody is static enough that this isn't a problem, but just to
> be on the safe side we recommend picking one mirror by name and
> sticking with it.)

But as long as the http.us mirrors don't get more than a day out of date,
woody's guaranteed to be static enough: old packages don't get deleted
for two days, and packages never make it into woody unless they've had
at least one day in unstable. No disagreement with the suggestion though,
http.us has often seemed quite flakey for one reason or another. :-/

Cheers,
aj

     ``BAM! Science triumphs again!''
                    -- http://www.angryflower.com/vegeta.gif