Re: http.us rotation Was: PGI installer ISO image (BETA) for woody now available

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 09:04:18AM -0500, Scott Dier wrote:
> >at least one day in unstable. No disagreement with the suggestion though,
> >http.us has often seemed quite flakey for one reason or another. :-/
>
> /me notes that saens.debian.org will be moved out from behind a firewall
> and onto a less-shared pipe soon.  I've not been using http.us lately,
> so I don't know which servers are at fault, however.
>
> Anyone know which http.us servers are causing the pain?

The most recent notable problem was ftp.egr.msu.edu which was inaccessible
due to disk problems.

I wouldn't know about the speed of updates right now, because I don't have
access to rsync logs. Last time I had a look at them, the time window was
within two hours for all of the current http.us mirrors, IIRC.

Note that the updates would likely go much faster if the TCP window size was
increased like Matthias Waddenstein suggested recently. However, Ryan Murray
told him he wouldn't change the default value because the natural limit is
fine, or something like that. (This was relayed to me by Matthias so I'm not
responsible for the contents of the previous sentence.)

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.