Re: The automake issue, and why crippling 1.6 is a bad plan

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 05:39:02PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > Then read /usr/share/doc/autotools-dev/README.Debian.
> >
> > Ignorance is not an excuse anymore, go fix the package. Get the
[...]
> Those who would call others ignorant should first be not so themselves.

I have no delusions of being God, or of ever becoming one.

Still, now that I am aware of your standing on certain philosophies, I shall
not risk enraging you further with careless comments.  My apologies, I did
not mean to affront you. I worded that sentence carelessly.

I stated[1] that ignorance about the auto* issue would not be an excuse
anymore, because you now would know where to get the info you need.

The fact that such a readme.debian in a package as autotools-dev is needed
is enough proof that [at least I as the autotools-dev maintainer believe
that], not only there is no shame in not knowing the small details on how
convoluted tools such as the auto* bunch work, but also that this is a
common problem.

[1] In an over aggresive way, I admit. That was a botched attempt at
actually getting you to read the autotool's information and act on it, which
apparently failed.

> build scripts.  This is not an accident or an artifact of dpkg-source,
> it's an intentional act performed to comply with Debian's policy, the one

THAT is not what the email I replied to seemed to convey. In that email, you
seemed to imply that one _always_ need to build depend on automake and
autoconf [and all them at build time] when a maintainer needs to edit
configure.in, which is false.

To me, it looks like you still do not know the important details of how the
automake -> autoconf -> make toolchain is supposed to work.  Either that, or
there is something inherently evil to the SDL build structure that requires
you to modify the very *.in files a number of times in debian/rules, maybe
by calling automake numerous times with different options. And then use
autoconf to generate new configure scripts.  That would be a hideous misuse
of these tools and should be fixed upstream.

> I refuse to defy Debian policy because you don't like build-deps on
> autoconf and automake.

I do not dislike, or bother with build-dependencies on autoconf and
automake.  I do frown upon the mess they make when coupled with new version
of said tools, and very old versions of the GNU config scripts. That was the
reason I created autotools-dev.

  Henrique Holschuh