Re: The automake issue, and why crippling 1.6 is a bad plan

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 05:39:02PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > Lots of packages need to make changes to configure.in, I have to make
> > changes to the one in SDL, for example.
>
> Then read /usr/share/doc/autotools-dev/README.Debian.
>
> Ignorance is not an excuse anymore, go fix the package. Get the
> cyrus21-imapd source package if you need any help. Hint: cyrus builds
> straight from CVS, using cvs-buildpackage, and it still manages to generate
> configure only once, and not bother the users, nor build-depend on autoconf.

Those who would call others ignorant should first be not so themselves.

The configure.in shipped with SDL upstream causes lintian errors about
things which have been a violation of policy at least as far back as I can
remember.  My package fixes this in configure.in and then regenerates the
build scripts.  This is not an accident or an artifact of dpkg-source,
it's an intentional act performed to comply with Debian's policy, the one
thing that keeps some people using Debian despite all of the bullshit we
have seen come out of places like this list over the past year or so.

I refuse to defy Debian policy because you don't like build-deps on
autoconf and automake.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>     The guy with a rocket launcher

<Knghtbrd> This font is starting to come out very nicely
<stu> Knghtbrd: oh dear, are you hacking up another quake font in vi? :)