Re: The automake issue, and why crippling 1.6 is a bad plan

Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 05:39:02PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
>>> Lots of packages need to make changes to configure.in, I have to make
>>> changes to the one in SDL, for example.

>> Then read /usr/share/doc/autotools-dev/README.Debian.

>> Ignorance is not an excuse anymore, go fix the package. Get the
>> cyrus21-imapd source package if you need any help. Hint: cyrus
>> builds straight from CVS, using cvs-buildpackage, and it still
>> manages to generate configure only once, and not bother the users,
>> nor build-depend on autoconf.

[...]
> The configure.in shipped with SDL upstream causes lintian errors
> about things which have been a violation of policy at least as far
> back as I can remember.  My package fixes this in configure.in and
> then regenerates the build scripts.
[...]
> I refuse to defy Debian policy because you don't like build-deps on
> autoconf and automake.

I fail to see from your problem description why you cannot modify
configure.in and run automake et al. _once_ at home and _then_
generate the debian-diff. - It'd be a bit bigger, but you could
get rid of the dependency on auto*.
       thanks for your work, cu andreas
--
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest unstable _tin_
http://www.logic.univie.ac.at/~ametzler/debian/tin-snapshot/